Tuesday 19 November 2013

2013 / 2014 Action Plan

Now that I'm back at college for the 2nd year of my foundation degree I need to think about setting some realistic targets for the year ahead. It's time to start thinking about where I want to be in the future and deciding what aspect of graphic design to focus on.



My first goal is continuing to develop myself as a designer:

What is it I want to achieve? - I want develop my design skills further and discover what path of graphics interests me the most.

Where - I can achieve this within the college year, completing research tasks in my own time.
Achievable? - Developing myself as a designer will be achievable within college as I will have studio sessions throughout the year that will help to develop my digital skills, continue to help me understands and actively complete the design process as well as being set tasks and live briefs that will require final outcomes.
 
Relevant - Completely relevant to my practice.
 
Time - This goal will be on-going throughout my whole college year.



 
My second goal is finding a work placement:

What is it I want to achieve? - I want to secure a work placement, either a long term internship or short term placement so that I can gain industry experience and understand how graphic design works in the 'real world'.

Where - Ideally a local agency that has a wide variety of clients and briefs

Achievable? - I'm confident that I can achieve this before the end of the academic year as I have a years worth of work for my portfolio and a keen interest in achieving this.
 
Relevant - Completely relevant to my course. Securing a placement will aid me in my personal professional development as well as my work based learning. Securing a placement will also hopefully allow me to build on my portfolio of work, completing live briefs for live clients.
 
Time - I will focus on this goal in the new year and will hopefully secure a placement that will run alongside my college hours.
 
 
 
My third goal is to continue my education after I've completed my foundation degree:
 
What is it I want to achieve? - I want to continue my education and gain a full degree in graphic design

Where - Ideally I would like to continue with Newcastle College - it's closest to home and I feel like I will have an advantage having already studied with Newcastle College.

Achievable? - I feel like this is achievable as I have built up a strong portfolio of work and I have an advantage having already studied with Newcastle College.
 
Relevant - Relevant to my practice as continuing onto the thirs year will allow me to focus on the aspect of graphic design I want to pursue in the future and plan a whole project around this interest.
 
Time - I will need to meet UCAS deadlines, ensuring that I have a strong personal statement. I will need to create a portfolio of work to present at my interview.
 

 
My long term goal (within the next 5 years):
 
What is it I want to achieve? - I want to secure employment within fashion as either an editorial designer or visual merchandiser. I would love to work as an editorial designer for a company that has no restrictions in terms of design guidelines, giving me free reign to be creative. Alongside this I would also love to design my own t-shirt range as a freelance project.

Where - Ideally here in the North East, however I would love to spend a few years down in London gaining experience in a fast paced city.

Achievable? - This will be achievable if I work hard and continue to stay committed. I will need to get some fashion based work into my portfolio.
 
Relevant - Relevant to my interests within design.
 
Time - I will focus on my next year of education first but will start looking at employment opportunities towards the end of 2014 / beginning of 2015.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment